Sunday, October 28, 2007

Language Blunder

I've been learning Thai for about a year now, but still make lots of language mistakes. Just yesterday, I made a language blunder worth noting. In Thailand, the King is looked upon very favorably. He has been King for a very long time and has earned the respect of almost everyone in Thailand. Every Monday, tons of Thai people wear a yellow shirt in honor of the King. After youtube.com had a video that mocked the King, it was, and is still blocked in the country of Thailand. There are many names that people here call the king, but one is "Phra Jaao Pan Din," which means God of the earth (the one over the country of Thailand). Just recently, a member of the royal family came to our province to visit a nearby village, and I found myself talking about the King, and since I had just recently learned this new vocabulary, I tried to put it to use. Unfortunately, I used the Thai words "Phra Jaao Dai Din," and got blank stares. I said this for a couple of days, and then my wonderful wife reminded me that the phrase I used would translate as "God under the earth." No wonder I got blank stares.

No comments: