Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pray for the big water fight: Songkran

Starting tomorrow, the country of Thailand will be celebrating the traditional new year, which is called Songkran. Old traditions of pouring water on people's hands in order to bless them has changed over the years into one big water fight. This means that if you are driving by on a motorcycle or car down any road in Thailand, you will be covered with water and baby powder by the end of your trip (its not even officially started yet, and I've already gotten soaked with water and powdered up). In addition, with the holiday season comes lots of drinking whiskey as well. In fact, in the village I live in and in another village that I went to visit today, I'm not sure if I saw any men who were not drunk. The combination of a big water fight and massive drunkenness usually lead to many deaths. Pray for safety for the Thai people, and for opportunities for us to share with people during this holiday time.

Keep a look out on the blog for pics of what goes down in Sisaket, Thailand during Songkran

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

farmersdaughter4ever said...

Hi David, to start w/ this is going to be a long comment...sorry! You have a beautiful family...I can't believe you are married. Do you remember Erin's friend "chipmunk" HI. I am still Beth Helms, I married a guy w/the same last name, smart I know!lol. I found you through Leigh Eddy Nelsons blog. It's so weird to see people from the past and get a glimpse into their live now. How awesome you are in Thailand serving our awesome God! Never thought I would say this, but I am proud of you! I have 2 kids now and one more on the way...my life is completely the way I always wanted it to be! It was fun looking into your life for a few minutes...take care.